U Kyaw Ni (aka) U Kyaw Kyaw
Ministry of Labour
|Name||U Kyaw Ni (aka) U Kyaw Kyaw|
|Date of Birth||6/14/1978|
|Place of Birth||War Khel Ma Township, Irrawaddy Division|
|Parents||U Ohn Shwe and Daw Tin Aye|
|Education||Law Degree (LL.B)|
During the closure of NLD offices due to DePaYin massacre, actively advocated and fought for:
|2004||At the anniversary of DePeYin massacre, arrested along with 9 other NLD youth leaders for distribution of Human Rights Declaration documents and detained in Insein prison for 9 days.|
|2005||Arrested and detained for 6 days for the incident/suspect of bomb explosions in 3 locations.|
|2007||Sentenced for life for speaking at the American Center about Labor Law as part of May Day celebrations. Detained at Insein and Kalay prisons. Given amnesty from Kalay prison in 2012.|
|2012||After the release from prison, founded “Action Labor Rights” group and served as the president.|
|2017||Served as the official secretary for newly founded Socialist Democratic Union Force (SDUF).|
|2019/2020||Resigned from SDUF in order to lead All Burma Federation of Trade Unions (ABFTU) which was also founded in 2017.|
Also led and participated in many worker’s strikes including, but not limited to, the followings:
- After the February 1st Coup, led the first Civil Disobedience Movement (CDM) and demonstration against the SAC.
- Led ABFTU Strike as well as collaborated with other strikes.
- Took leadership role in forming General Strike Committee (GSC).
- Was present at Kyaut Myaung Junction strike when GSC was cracked down on 3/3/21. Appeared on the warrant list for arrest since then.
- Until recent appointment in NUG, actively involved in various underground activities and strikes around Yangon.